CodeNow is a DC non-profit that teaches kids to code, and they need donations. It seems like a good program:
The Five Parts To Our Program:
1) Weekend Training: Each student selected participates in one weekend training. On Day 1, students will learn basics in programming with Hackety Hack, an open source program teaching basics in Ruby. On Day 2, using Lego Mindstorms, (robotic kits made out of Legos), students works in team to build and program robots.
2) Projects: After the weekend training students will complete online assignments and projects to hone their skills
3) BootCamp: Students will attend a bootcamp from December 27-30, during which they will receive intensive training in the programming language Ruby.
4) Netbooks: Each student who completes the weekend training and bootcamp will receive a netbook. We feel it’s important for students to be able to practice their skills. The netbook is a tool which will allow them to do so.
5) Alumni Network: All students who complete the trainings and bootcamp will be invited to join our Alumni network where they will receive mentoring, assistance finding internships, and invitations to attend hackathons and other events.