This might seem redundant: I’m using one task management tool (the reminders app built into iOS) to help me improve my usage of another(Omnifocus).
Part of this has to do with the ‘blessed’ status of Reminders: as one of the built-in apps (a peer of Mail, Calendar, and Contacts) its basically always up-to-date. Omnifocus, on the other hand, needs to be open to sync. If a task is due at 5pm, and I check it complete from my Mac at 3pm, I’ll still get pop-up reminders on my iPad and iPhone until Omnifocus is updated.
My intention is for these reminders to be temporary- these are simply habits I want to build. Where my task management has been failing me lately is in these transition contexts: things I want to do or take with me when I leave in the morning, or leave work, or on the weekends when my schedule is more complex than “work” and “home”
For a time, I was good.
1Password is a wonderful tool– simply great. With it, you can easily make sure you have a strong and unique password. When you have 1Password on every device you spend serious time on, it can’t be beat.
At my last job, this was exactly the situation. I had a Mac at home, a Mac at work, and an iPhone, all happily running 1Password and syncing with Dropbox.
These days, I have a PC and Mac at work(don’t ask), no ability to install software on the PC, and any sort of cloud syncing is probably… Minor treason?
So, I have these random and essentially un-memorizable passwords, that I occasionally need (or just want) to use from one of the work machines. What do I do? Usually, one of these:
- pull up the relevant password on my phone or iPad
- email it to myself
- stick it in evernote (simultaneously making sure my Evernote password is saved on every machine)
The first is inconvenient and error-prone. The others are simply stupid. The Evernote thing is particularly jackass-tastic.
What’s the right solution, then?
It seems to me that I need to come up with memorable and unique passwords for any service I expect to log in to during the work day.
It’s funny how much this feels like defeat.
I have no excuse for this, really. It just didn’t taste good.
I started with this Blue Ribbon White Bread recipe. While reading recipes for seaweed bread, I noted that you need to reconstitute it in liquid. Luckily (or not) this bread recipe starts with heating up some milk, and the letting it cool. I dumped 2oz of seaweed in during this cooling step.
It shouldn’t have been too surprising, but the seaweed soaked up most of the milk, so I ended up adding 2 more cups. The end result didn’t look bad.
It tasted awful, though.
For my next attempt at this, I’m going to grind the seaweed into a powder and incorporate it with the flour.
For my second attempt at The Caramel, I got much better results using real cream (instead of the butter + milk hack), except that the finished product was too soft. It would certainly make a great desert topping, but It just wasn’t candy.
At Patty’s suggestion, I looked into ways to “fix” caramel. After reading through this chowhound thread, I understood that there were two solutions:
- Increase the ratio of regular sugar to inverted sugar.
- Cook it too a higher temperature
I already thought I detected just a hint of “burnt” in the caramel syrup– not unpleasant, but I didn’t want to push it further in that direction. I went with the first option.
I cooked up an additional cup and a half of sugar (with enough water for it to look wet) until it hit 350, and then poured in the existing caramel. After stirring until it seemed like they had mixed, I poured it all back out to cool.
It didn’t completely blend, and the finished caramel has some bits that are hard-candy crunchy. Still, it’s stable and mostly edible, a definite improvement over the last batch.